Exercise/Sports clothing

fashion and glamour for the anorak about town

Moderator: let it ride

let it ride
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Exercise/Sports clothing

Post by let it ride » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:03 pm

Hi workout people!

I didn't want to clog up sporty anorak subforums with this kind of stuff. SO! Gym! Exercise! I bet a lot of you, if you were to guess what I wear at the gym, would be bedazzled hotpants with a pink iPod cover thing on my arm and a matching top. Or something silly like that.

I like one part baggy (top), one part tight and 3/4 (bottom). I hate wearing clingy tops, only at my very fittest have I felt even remotely attractive or confident wearing them at the gym. The combination of the weight machines I use (e.g. rowing machines, and the arm machines) plus running means they have to do a number of things. The tops if the are tight tend to ride up and expose my love handles or stomach which is what I dislike the most. Not fun.

I wear baggy t-shirts that I buy from H&M, with bottoms from Pineapple who I think are a sub-brand at Debenhams because that's the only place I've seen 'em. They have nice stuff! I've tried li'l Nike shorts (result: 1. gross men a-hollerin' when I've been running outdoors/more weird pervs at gym thinking i'm flirting 2. when you run, they just kinda like to ride up on the inner thighs which makes the shorts look completely bizarre and make me feel horrible. 'cause tuggin' at the crotch of your shorts looks real nice), I've tried the basic black slightly bootcut trouser that is also so popular but i hate the feeling of full-length trouser when I exercise.

I'd like some dude-y football style shorts I think. The whole "feminine shorts" thing just meant feeling really self-conscious and all my stretches feeling highly suspicious. And thigh machines! Crikey.

I bought these ones today, as I've only had one proper "outfit" that I actually like, thus overwashing it all the time.
http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... _843409_-1
http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... _821895_-1
http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... _317515_-1

Also, if I could afford exercise clothing from Lululemon, I'd get it. All their stuff looks so nice and comfortable, but durable too.

So, this is the thread to talk about exercise and sports clothing, what you like and don't like, etc. I'm weirdly excited about my new stuff, even though it's hardly "attractive" clothing. I am going to buy lots more of the baggy/oversize t-shirts tomorrow :D I love being able to focus on working out and not thinking of how I look, and feel confident. Yay!

Tell me what you wear at the gym! Favourite brands? Do you buy the latest technological wicking fabrics or do you wear your old Madonna tour t-shirt? I wanna know!
clear eyes full hearts can't lose

yubo

Re: Exercise/Sports clothing

Post by yubo » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:45 pm

Oh, I'm kind of the opposite. I hate wearing loose clothing when I exercise. Maybe I think it's hindering me. I was always jealous of the women I would see who were able to just wear a sports bra-ish thing and no shirt. Usually I'll wear a sleeveless shirt and yoga pants or yoga knee length pants. When I went to the gym I used to like to wear these gym skorts things. It was a skirt with lycra tight shorts underneath. That way you could do all the leg exercises without worrying about people seeing up your shorts, but you don't have to have a fabulous bum. I got them in the work out section at Walmart for only $14.

I always buy my work out clothes at Target or Costco or Walmart. So cheap and good enough. Though over Christmas I spent a bunch of money on a Nike weather proof running jacket so that I could run in the cold and sometimes the wind off the Hudson River is deadly. But then I hurt my knee and was off running the whole winter after I bought it. So sad. I probably won't ever spend that much again. I found that it wasn't really worth it the few times I did get to wear it and the Nike logos always made me cringe. I generally don't wear any clothes with visible logos.

The other day I came to work in yoga pants, sports bra and t-shirt because I was too lazy to change after my physio appointment. I felt kind of silly but damn, was I comfortable!
Butt.

miffy

Post by miffy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:49 am

Ooh those top trousers are really nice, Astrid. I may invest, I've been running and skipping a bit lately and wearing the same trousers (bog standard John Lewis jogging bottoms I think, probably from the school department!) I wore for school PE lessons when I was about 14, so I think I could justify it. They're all fleecy on the inside to offer maximum february-hockey-lesson warmth so I think that might be a bit of an issue now the weather is warmer. I'm not really fussy what I wear when I'm exercising, I normally just wear an old H&M t shirt and those trousers, but comfy cropped trousers would be nice for summer. And may encourage me to exercise more!

I'm in massive need of a sports bra though. I need new bras generally, but had just about been managing until I did some skipping in my garden and 100% pop-out occured. I've never even glanced in the direction of a sports bra, any tips on what's comfortable/cheap?

let it ride
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by let it ride » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:43 pm

I use a sports bra by Casall, I'm not sure I've seen them in the UK though. I used to have another one by a brand called Stay In Place (haha) but I prefer the Casall one.

You can get a specific one that is called like the shock absorber or something (it's by Debenhams) which is meant to be amazing. It made my breasts look so terrifying I wanted to cry though. So I didn't buy it. Aesthetics play a part for me even in exercise wear, I'm embarrassed to say!
clear eyes full hearts can't lose

yubo

Post by yubo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:39 pm

yubo wrote:I probably won't ever spend that much again.
heh. I lied!

well, not that $ amount, but I've been spending more on exercise clothes, in general. Mostly because a couple of times I've had to cut a run short because my flabbly arms were chaffing. And it's a pain layering so much when you can spend the money on a single warm item. I'm all about the tech gear now. Cold weather running pants have been my new best friend this winter. Sometimes, it is worth it.
Butt.