Why can't boys wear dresses or why are mens clothes so dull?

fashion and glamour for the anorak about town

Moderator: let it ride

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Why can't boys wear dresses or why are mens clothes so dull?

Post by tonieee » Thu Sep 30, 2010 00:48

I've just got back from the pub after seeing Shrag and while watching them I was thinking how lovely the singer looked and how dull the blokes in the band looked. It's not that she had a particularly wonderful dress on or that the blokes had really boring clothes on but just that comparatively the woman's clothes was much nicer than the men's. Most of my favourite clothes are "women's" clothes - I don't consider myself a transvestite, by which I mean that I don't want to wear clothes to look like a woman, I just think that the shape/colours/patterns/styles of women's clothes is nicer than men's (other than the fact that women's clothes often have space for boobs that I don't have the boobs to fill with). But these days, being six foot two with an ever increasing beer belly, I'm finding it harder to find clothes that fit me. When I was younger I didn't mind that I was wearing tops that were far too short and showed my belly but now it's just too unattractive. For the two weeks before the Nottingham Weekender I went to just about every clothes shop in Sheffield trying to find a nice new top but failed.

I'm probably babbling a bit due to being quite drunk but what I'm trying to say is "men's clothes = boring" and "where can I buy nice clothes that fit me"?

tonieee

Re: Why can't boys wear dresses or why are mens clothes so d

Post by tonieee » Thu Sep 30, 2010 07:12

Oh dear. The internet shouldn't let you on it when you're drunk. Sorry blokes from Shrag and men in general, you're clothes aren't really boring...

PCP

Post by PCP » Thu Sep 30, 2010 20:29

tonieee wrote:...."men's clothes = boring" ....?
I agree totally
tonieee wrote:........"where can I buy nice clothes that fit me"?
You have found nice men clothes that don't fit you ?

knibbles
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by knibbles » Thu Sep 30, 2010 21:01

I hope you find some nice clothes tonieee, I can't really help with that, although I did think when I was in Asda today that all the lovely kids clothes for ages 18months-4 years were way nicer than the grown up ones and they should just make the kids clothes in big sizes and everyone would be happy.

I sometimes wonder what I would wear if I was a man and I think I'd wear a victorian style waist coat and suit all the time, with some kind of fancy hat.

And if it makes you feel better, I find girl's clothes shopping is fraught with the same problems. Only about 5% of stuff that I try on ever looks nice. They seem to base all dress lengths on girls being about 5'2", most of them are obscene on me and break common decency laws.
Daddy is dead on a sunshine day

linus

Post by linus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 21:13

men's clothes are definitely boring... it's all very limited, I know how I'd like to dress, it's not too far off how I dress now but I'd just like a few more options... I tend to end up dressing 'comfy' (i.e, creased and with room to breathe), I'm built for comfort, that's a depressing realisation when you come to it

I can't escape being a bloke, if I wore a blouse I'd look like a bloke in a blouse and people who'd ordinarily think boys in blouses are cool would frown and point out, 'you're wearing a blouse, please don't wear a blouse again', and tut at me and then gesture towards the door in that way that means, 'it's time you were leaving'

so, I intend to rock the old man look from now on and dress like a pensioner... jack and victor from 'still game' is where it's at, as far as I'm concerned sartorially speaking, I'll leave the wearing of frocks to the more flamboyant and exceptional of figure and personality... I know my place

gloom button

Post by gloom button » Thu Sep 30, 2010 21:27

Although, even if men's clothes are dull, there can be a certain pleasure in the (right kind of) dullness. I quite like the anonymity of a plain shirt and plain tie and plain trousers, for instance.
the trouble with personalities, they're too wrapped up in style
it's too personal; they're in love with their own guile

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Thu Sep 30, 2010 21:37

Women's clothes look better because women look better.

Simples.
There ain't no-one gonna turn me round

linus

Post by linus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 21:43

gloom button wrote:Although, even if men's clothes are dull, there can be a certain pleasure in the (right kind of) dullness. I quite like the anonymity of a plain shirt and plain tie and plain trousers, for instance.
indeed, I take a certain delight in putting together a very anonymous cardigan, corduroy and shirt combo

grey blood, beige heart

or something

I think some men look better in a dress than some women, I don't think it's a one or another thing... it's blurry and sometimes can catch you up sharp

some of those drag kings... hoochie mama!

MJHibbett

Post by MJHibbett » Thu Sep 30, 2010 22:05

Tonieee! Don't spoil it - the point of men's clothes being dull and all the same is that WE DON'T HAVE TO BOTHER. If people go around breaking the Fancy Clothes Embargo then suddenly we'll have to spend money on flash clothes that we would otherwise have spent on important things like beer, steam engines, welding equipment etc etc, and also spend time THINKING about WHAT TO WEAR. Imagine the HORROR if, faced with a wedding, a gentleman had to do MORE than go "Where is my one suit? Oh there. Now to spend an hour watching TELLY."

If you ask me these younger generation of men with their "products" and "styles" and "trousers" are buying themselves into a WORLD of trouble. Young men! Stick to jeans and a t-shirt that lost its colour long ago! It will save you both time AND money in the long run!

MJHibbett

Post by MJHibbett » Thu Sep 30, 2010 22:06

fogofideas wrote:so, I intend to rock the old man look from now on and dress like a pensioner... jack and victor from 'still game' is where it's at, as far as I'm concerned sartorially speaking, I'll leave the wearing of frocks to the more flamboyant and exceptional of figure and personality... I know my place
Is it time for the zip up beige jacket and flat cap ALREADY? JOY!

linus

Post by linus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 22:18

MJHibbett wrote:
fogofideas wrote:so, I intend to rock the old man look from now on and dress like a pensioner... jack and victor from 'still game' is where it's at, as far as I'm concerned sartorially speaking, I'll leave the wearing of frocks to the more flamboyant and exceptional of figure and personality... I know my place
Is it time for the zip up beige jacket and flat cap ALREADY? JOY!
if I could wear a flat cap without looking like a cockney wanker, I would

I'd love a zip up beige jacket, mind

Carys

Post by Carys » Thu Sep 30, 2010 22:23

Aw, come on. Men's clothes are often way nicer than women's clothes, and certainly easier to shop for. Crucially, men's clothes and body shapes tend to be more consistent - it's much easier to predict what is going to look good on a man without needing to try it on.

I wish I was a man.

linus

Post by linus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 22:44

I think it can be that consistency that's the problem, men's clothing doesn't seem to vary much in design from store to store, it's all rather homogenous

as has probably always been the case

I think mark's onto something, it can be a lot of work

I'm at ease with myself enough to appreciate the effort other chaps might put in but I have found any effort I put in tends to end up looking the same as if I'd put in no effort at all and that is I look crumpled and like a badly sprung mattress

Mr Bear
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/cold_discovery

Post by Mr Bear » Fri Oct 01, 2010 00:59

Don't feel bad, Tonieee, if one alternative is looking like this

That file name is indeed hipster.jpg

tonieee

Post by tonieee » Fri Oct 01, 2010 07:02

fogofideas wrote:I think it can be that consistency that's the problem, men's clothing doesn't seem to vary much in design from store to store, it's all rather homogenous
Yes, that's exactly it. You go into somewhere like H&M past two floors of women's clothes of all different colours and styles to the men's department stuck in a corner where the choices are limited to colours of the drab end of spectrum (not that I've got anything against these clothes and those that wear them - I'd just like the choice to have more brighter, interesting clothes). I do understand that there can be problems if you are woman trying to find clothes but at least there is more choice.
fogofideas wrote:I'll leave the wearing of frocks to the more flamboyant and exceptional of figure and personality... I know my place
I'd begun to feel that in recent years due to advancing age and expanding waistline - not that I ever had an exceptional figure, just a skinny one. But more recently I've had a desire to wear something more flamboyant again but wanting something that actually fits me properly rather than if the buttons will fasten then it'll do.
MJHibbett wrote:Tonieee! Don't spoil it - the point of men's clothes being dull and all the same is that WE DON'T HAVE TO BOTHER. If people go around breaking the Fancy Clothes Embargo then suddenly we'll have to spend money on flash clothes that we would otherwise have spent on important things like beer, steam engines, welding equipment etc etc, and also spend time THINKING about WHAT TO WEAR. Imagine the HORROR if, faced with a wedding, a gentleman had to do MORE than go "Where is my one suit? Oh there. Now to spend an hour watching TELLY."
I don't spend a lot of time choosing what to wear and getting ready - I'll just pull something out of the wardrobe and put it on but it's the what's in the wardrobe that is the problem.

tonieee

Post by tonieee » Fri Oct 01, 2010 07:06

Mr Bear wrote:Don't feel bad, Tonieee, if one alternative is looking like this

He he - I did go through a period of wearing hot pants. Not at the same time as a beard though...

Has the bloke on the right got a calculator watch on? I've not seen one of those in years!

indiehorse

Post by indiehorse » Fri Oct 01, 2010 09:31

Mr Bear wrote:Don't feel bad, Tonieee, if one alternative is looking like this

I'm not sure mocking how some randomer dresses is in the spirit of the thread.
I really like how the guy looks. Especially that shirt.

philjunebride

Post by philjunebride » Fri Oct 01, 2010 09:50

Occasionally wearing a Paisley cravat is as flamboyant as a gentleman should get :-)

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Fri Oct 01, 2010 09:51

Each individual item is probably fine, except possibly the beer he's drinking, but the overall effect just makes you want to point and laugh. That sort of thing is why girls are better than boys. Not saying it's fair or anything, it's just how it is. They just are.

Oh, and the tattoo. God, the tattoo.
There ain't no-one gonna turn me round

darvé
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/darve

Post by darvé » Fri Oct 01, 2010 09:56

andyroo wrote: Oh, and the tattoo. God, the tattoo.
Bloody Urusei Yatsura fans, i bet Will's eyeing up that ensemble as we speak.

and that snare drum, that drum roll
means we've got a winner