Summer Vacations and Holidays!

julieocean

Re: Summer Vacations and Holidays!

Post by julieocean » Thu May 05, 2011 14:07

roundbitsofplastic wrote:
crystalball wrote:Has anyone ever been to Barmouth in Wales? I saw it on Coast earlier on and it looked exactly like something I've had in my head for ages and also like the prettiest place ever. And it's got a railway bridge across the estuary. Is it amazing? I wanna go, even if it means changing trains in Birmingham.
Watch it, Marianthi! The mid-Welsh coast is FULL of Brummies & Yam Yams (you can buy Wolverhampton newspapers & beer there).

I've been to Barmouth once many, many moons ago and remember nothing about it. We used to go to Tywyn/Towyn a lot, and I seem to remember that even as a 10-11 year old it seemed a depressed place.

I accidentally spent some time in Aderbyfi/Aberdovey once when I was about 17 cos no one told me the train split into two and I was headed the wrong direction along the coast :-/

I imagine it's all changed quite a lot since those days.
I went on holiday to Aberdyfi (on purpose) about 15 years and stayed in a holiday park with wooden chalets on top of a hill (I think it was called Plas Plantidal or something). It was a bit bonkers because it was so high up that it was always foggy, so we'd get up and dress for winter weather in the morning and then gradually undress as we progressed further down the valley! Anyway, one of the activities we did was a narrow gauge railway trip (a quick google suggests it might have been the Fairbourne Steam Railway), which was a beautiful coastal line that stopped just short of Barmouth so we had to catch this bonkers ferry from the station. I can't remember anything about Barmouth itself, but it was the most picturesque and romantic approach! And a much nicer way to see the bridge than going over it.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Thu May 05, 2011 15:02

Aww, I wanna go to Wales now! Let's have an anorak beach, beer & bop in caredigion!
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Fri May 06, 2011 12:25

julieocean wrote:Anyway, one of the activities we did was a narrow gauge railway trip (a quick google suggests it might have been the Fairbourne Steam Railway), which was a beautiful coastal line that stopped just short of Barmouth so we had to catch this bonkers ferry from the station. I can't remember anything about Barmouth itself, but it was the most picturesque and romantic approach! And a much nicer way to see the bridge than going over it.
Oh gosh. Sold!

Let's go to Wales.

Murray

Post by Murray » Fri May 06, 2011 12:57

A few years back, me and an ex went on a ‘road trip’ to Wales. We started from Hereford after visiting friends, and headed over to Abergavenny, then up to Brecon (beautiful scenery all the way) where we stayed at a very cute B&B. Next day we headed up to Machynlleth (where SFA were playing some open air festival or something right in the middle of town), then on to Dolgellau and ultimately Barmouth.
It was a beautiful sunny day, but I still couldn’t believe how gorgeous Barmouth was. A fantastic sandy beach which wasn’t at all crowded, and when you turn away from the sea, there’s forests and hills, and behind them, dominating the landscape, a wonderful horizon of huge, craggy mountains. It was absolutely stunning, the sort of views that people sit on 6 hour flights to see, all just a couple of hundred miles from home. The town was sleepy and faded with lots of little nick-nack shops and cafes; no blaring and brash amusement arcades. Bloody lovely.

We then drove around the Snowdonia National Park which is breathtakingly beautiful, before hiking up Snowdon. The old slate quarry town of Blaenau Ffestiniog was really interesting but a bit sad and dilapidated, and the locals in the couple of shops on the High street we nipped in to glared at us for speaking English.

Wales is beautiful, and if you’ve got a car and can get about there’re so many places worth visiting. I also recommend the Gower peninsula in the south, particularly Caswell Bay. Lovely!

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Fri May 06, 2011 14:06

Murray wrote: Next day we headed up to Machynlleth (where SFA were playing some open air festival or something right in the middle of town), then on to Dolgellau and ultimately Barmouth.
Also, Machnylleth has the Centre for Alternative Technology. It's not far from my Gran's place in Llanidloes.
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

plath

Post by plath » Wed May 11, 2011 22:54

Solo travelling, yes or no? I've asked myself this question many times.

I've done it twice but it was for a short time (2-3 days). I went on my own because I wanted to travel, not because I particularly wanted to do it that way. I'm on hiatus because I got a bit tired of travelling, especially after that last trip on my own last summer. It was only a couple of days and somewhere I'd wanted to go for ages but still, incredibly boring. This summer I don't have anybody to travel with. I have long holidays, so I feel I should make the most of that and plan something. I definitely don't want to go on my own so if I do it, it's again because travelling is better than nothing. Not sure if that's the best reason to do it. :/

I've heard of people who go alone because they enjoy it, I don't think I do. There are advantages, of course, you have much more freedom and don't depend on anybody. I get tired easily so if I'm on my own I can always sit down and rest without feeling bad that I'm slowing someone down. I've enjoyed some part of that but I guess my experience in general wasn't great. I also never experienced that idea that when you're alone, you meet people on the way.

What's your opinion?
A D A D Em7 Fdim D7/F#

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Fri Jun 17, 2011 14:12

plath wrote:Solo travelling, yes or no? I've asked myself this question many times.
Sorry, I've only just seen this but I was thinking about something along the same lines today. I guess if the choice is between going on holiday and not enjoying it because you're on your own and not going at all, I wouldn't go. I think being on your own when you don't want to be can be quite spirit-crushing but then again that might depend on where you are going and how you're travelling. Have you decided what you're doing?

I have sort of the opposite problem. I've never been away on my own and really, really want to. The idea is almost taking over my life at the moment, probably because I'm due to become a parent in a few months and I keep thinking I won't get another chance. For me going away is a lot about the travelling itself, so what I'd really want to do would be to point on a remote destination on a map and figure out the prettiest, most convoluted way of getting there. In fact I've already done that bit. Maybe it helps that I don't get easily bored and that I long for gentleness and quiet right now. It could be a disaster, mind, and end in a massive existential crisis. Either way, I can't stop thinking about it.

plath

Post by plath » Fri Jun 17, 2011 15:21

Thanks for your comment. Yeah, I think you're right in the first part and that's why I haven't gone anywhere for the past few months. On a balance, the staying won and it made sense. However, you can't help thinking if it was a good idea or not.

Fortunately, I have a plan for next month. I'm going away for a few days and I'm looking forward to it, I'm not going on my own so that's nice. It was just a coincidence. Usually people don't have holidays the same time as me or they do but don't have money. Now I only need to decide if I'm doing something else later in the summer. No plans or ideas at the moment, but we'll see.

If you haven't been away on your own and you have that special urge right now, just do it! It will be a long time until you're actually alone again to enjoy some me time.
A D A D Em7 Fdim D7/F#