A thread about putting on DIY gigs

DIY clubs, gigs, fun
Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Re: A thread about putting on DIY gigs

Post by Trev » Mon May 14, 2012 17:06

I guess in London a fiver is still ok.....(and still a cheap night out compared to most other things).

I didn't see any difference when I dropped prices.

It's been a fiver for over 12 years in London and I can't quite fathom why - beer has doubled in price in the same time, yet people get hung up on paying 5 or 6 quid to see 4 bands. If they don't wanna pay it, I kinda think I'll be better off without them at the gig chatting to their mates instead of watching/listening to the bands.
not really here

Trev

Post by Trev » Mon May 14, 2012 17:08

Was chatting on Twitter about this earlier and someone pointed me at this Chris TT article:

http://christt.com/songwriting/an-under ... -industry/

It's worth a read.
not really here

DoNotDisconnect
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/dralexhaleiii

Post by DoNotDisconnect » Mon May 14, 2012 17:11

I charged £7.50 on the door, £6 advance, for Stanley Brinks (in order to cover his guarantee). Got 40-ish in and the only price complaint was from someone who missed the advance ticket link by MINUTES (but she got some biscuits for the expense). I generally go for about £4 or £5, though.

mkgleeds
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mkgleeds

Post by mkgleeds » Mon May 14, 2012 22:10

Trev wrote:I guess in London a fiver is still ok.....(and still a cheap night out compared to most other things).

I didn't see any difference when I dropped prices.

It's been a fiver for over 12 years in London and I can't quite fathom why - beer has doubled in price in the same time, yet people get hung up on paying 5 or 6 quid to see 4 bands. If they don't wanna pay it, I kinda think I'll be better off without them at the gig chatting to their mates instead of watching/listening to the bands.
I've thought that before about London.

I vaguely remember when i first used to goto gigs in London, it was about £3/4 to watch Heavenly at the Bull and Gate and about £7/8 to watch a big established band next door at the T&C. Nowadays most 'name bands charge £20 or more (£22.50 + booking fee to watch Ian McCulloch with no support on Saturday) - yet the smaller gigs havent kept pace and can still be 4 or 5 quid. Surprised they are not £7 or £8 at least.

I know i might be lucky to have a decent salary so i wouldnt really notice the difference but even if you are a student or unemployed, surely its nuts to expect to see 3 or 4 bands for much the same price as a pint (or even a bottle) of beer in the same venue.

leon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lc86

Post by leon » Tue May 15, 2012 12:01

a layer of chips wrote:I used to put free gigs on in Leeds and get 10 per cent of the bar, like Leon. It was alright, 'cos you always had a crowd. But then it was sometimes rubbish because you always had a crowd (of regulars trying to watch the live rugby league game on the tellies in there whilst bands were trying to soundcheck). That was sometimes a bit tense. Don't think I'd do that again.
Again we're lucky that we have a separate room upstairs for the band part of the night, and we basically take over the downstairs bar for the DJ's/dancing part of the night. We turn the telly off too and connect a DVD player to put slideshows or weird films on too. Except once when I had to DJ with the bloody snooker on behind me.
"and Valley Parade is showing all its finery"

Pop Kid
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/boyinky

Post by Pop Kid » Wed May 16, 2012 21:08

Trev wrote:
It's been a fiver for over 12 years in London and I can't quite fathom why - beer has doubled in price in the same time.
I charge a fiver because I'm scared shitless no one will turn up so I charge as little as is possible whilst still giving myself a fair chance I can cover all costs.

What is the tipping point for a small gig in London - when the price obviously adversely effects the amount of people who turn up?

Trev

Post by Trev » Wed May 16, 2012 21:18

Pop Kid wrote:
Trev wrote:
It's been a fiver for over 12 years in London and I can't quite fathom why - beer has doubled in price in the same time.
I charge a fiver because I'm scared shitless no one will turn up so I charge as little as is possible whilst still giving myself a fair chance I can cover all costs.

What is the tipping point for a small gig in London - when the price obviously adversely effects the amount of people who turn up?
I know what you mean Ian. Lostmusic did £6/£7 towards our end and crowds (such as they were) didn't really dip.

I think Fortuna Pop are now doing £6.50/£8 for a lot of their smaller gigs. Which seems a lot more sensible.
not really here

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Wed May 16, 2012 21:25

halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

Trev

Post by Trev » Wed May 16, 2012 21:26

That's the same Chris TT article I mentioned, rebranded...
not really here

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Wed May 16, 2012 21:28

sorry Trev, didn't see yours but read this article this morning and only just remembered to post it

the important thing to remember about Chris TT is that he's shite
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

Trev

Post by Trev » Wed May 16, 2012 21:44

indiansummer wrote:sorry Trev, didn't see yours but read this article this morning and only just remembered to post it

the important thing to remember about Chris TT is that he's shite
No matter, really. He raises some interesting points, though.
not really here

Pop Kid

Post by Pop Kid » Wed May 16, 2012 21:52

I hope that Chris TT article doesn't empower bands in the indiepop scene to start asking for guarantees or meddling with the ticket price - they'll find gigs a lot harder to come by if they do.

For me, being in a band, I'd rather take less money and play to more people.

I don't want to travel to play a gig that has a big ticket price that no ones shows up at just because we've demanded that our costs are covered.

graysonscolumn

Post by graysonscolumn » Wed May 16, 2012 21:55

Trev wrote:
That's the same Chris TT article I mentioned, rebranded...

"however much they deny it, people who’ve paid negligible entry are less interested in the music and are simply less good audiences. They’re more likely to use the gig as a meeting place and end up thinking of the music as background to their social occasion"

You what, Chris???? You can't have been to Sheffield enough recently...

I've NEVER seen a crowd at the Red House go so absolutely batspit mental as they did for The Wendy Darlings, The Garlands, The Sweet Nothings and August Actually bill last August, despite nobody having paid any more than a fiver (and probably a pound or two less, in all probability). There was no sense whatsoever of the acts being incidental or secondary to the actuality of having a night out - it'd be a gross misrepresentation of the bands involved and the paying punters present to suggest otherwise.

Conversely, the two music events I've attended that were blighted the most by ignorant, inattentive audience members talking all over the music were among the most expensive. Low being yakked all the way through at the South Bank Festival Hall (sic) was annoying enough, but the bored gassers at All Tomorrow's Parties just left me incredulous - why pay £210 for a weekend of proving you can talk about utter mince louder than Nina Nastasia can sing?

gc
Fifty Shades Of Grayson: http://thatmusiclist.blogspot.com

Trev

Post by Trev » Wed May 16, 2012 22:08

Pop Kid wrote:I hope that Chris TT article doesn't empower bands in the indiepop scene to start asking for guarantees or meddling with the ticket price - they'll find gigs a lot harder to come by if they do.

I don't want to travel to play a gig that has a big ticket price that no ones shows up at just because we've demanded that our costs are covered.
I can see that, but it gets my goat that people who chance upon an odd box show, sometimes walk away grumbling that £5/£6 to see 4 bands is too pricey... but they'll happily buy a packet of fags for £6 (or whatever they cost) or a beer for £4.....

I think prices will have to go up at some point. I can't always make a gig 'work' at a fiver....
not really here

sweepingthenation
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sweepingnation

Post by sweepingthenation » Wed May 16, 2012 22:15

That's the sociological aspect of music, though, isn't it? The whole "I haven't heard of them, they can't be any good" attitude still widely prevalent.

I can't imagine this Guardian piece ("Given £100 by the Observer Magazine to make some money, I decided to become a promoter" - um...) is going to help matters much. Yeah, all comes very easy when you're getting a national newspaper to plug your gig, doesn't it?

Trev

Post by Trev » Wed May 16, 2012 22:16

graysonscolumn wrote:
"however much they deny it, people who’ve paid negligible entry are less interested in the music and are simply less good audiences. They’re more likely to use the gig as a meeting place and end up thinking of the music as background to their social occasion"

You what, Chris???? You can't have been to Sheffield enough recently...
I can see both sides of this. At a £5 though, in London, you sometimes get loads of people turning up to see their mates and then fucking off as soon as they're done. I hate that, but yeah, some big gigs suffer from the inane chatter just as much, if not, more.
not really here

Pop Kid

Post by Pop Kid » Wed May 16, 2012 22:20

Trev wrote:
Pop Kid wrote:I hope that Chris TT article doesn't empower bands in the indiepop scene to start asking for guarantees or meddling with the ticket price - they'll find gigs a lot harder to come by if they do.

I can see that, but it gets my goat that people who chance upon an odd box show, sometimes walk away grumbling that £5/£6 to see 4 bands is too pricey... but they'll happily buy a packet of fags for £6 (or whatever they cost) or a beer for £4.....

I think prices will have to go up at some point. I can't always make a gig 'work' at a fiver....
Blame the venues, in London at least - you're 80 quid down before you've even started. Whilst you're 'not making it work' at a fiver or having people walk off because it's 6 quid, the venue are doing very nicely on the overpriced bar and the 80 quid they've already pocketed.

Chuck in the 3 out of the 4 bands playing who won't break even on the night then there's only one winner from small gigs.

Trev

Post by Trev » Wed May 16, 2012 22:24

I agree Pop Kid.

But there's little I can do to change the venues.

We should all club together and buy our own. Running it as a co-operative or something.

Odd Box has been £5 adv / £6 door for 2 years and it hasn't stopped people coming along.... I'm too scared to go £6 adv / £7 door as I think this might be the tipping point you mentioned earlier...
not really here

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Wed May 16, 2012 22:28

Trev wrote:We should all club together and buy our own. Running it as a co-operative or something.
This may well have been a throwaway comment, but it's something we've considered in the broadest of terms down this way. It would be a little way off in the future thing rather than anything short term though.

If anyone has done anything like this, or knows anywhere where it has been done, I'd love to hear about it.

Trev

Post by Trev » Wed May 16, 2012 22:30

Eddie wrote:
Trev wrote:We should all club together and buy our own. Running it as a co-operative or something.
This may well have been a throwaway comment, but it's something we've considered in the broadest of terms down this way. It would be a little way off in the future thing rather than anything short term though.

If anyone has done anything like this, or knows anywhere where it has been done, I'd love to hear about it.
It's not a throwaway comment. I am seriously considering the idea in London. If it's possible.... I've got no idea what it would entail.
not really here