Seasonal Records

chunter on randomly
noLooking

Seasonal Records

Post by noLooking » Tue Dec 01, 2015 15:47

Being generally tardy and ramshackle in my record buying affairs, I have just gotten round to buying last year's Comet Gain album "Paperback Ghosts". As usual I seem to recall it being slagged off at the time, yet can find no evidence to back up such a claim (I've a feeling that such stories lodge themselves in my head so as to justify not getting round to listening to things). But anyway, now that I hear it I find that not only is it the best record by them that I have (disclaimer: I do't have them all), but that it is an extremely appropriate record for this time of the year, all very autumnal, warm and jangly with the occasional blast of icy cold to the proceedings. It is, in essence, the aural equivalent of a satisfying walk through dead leaves in the woods, followed by a cup of cocoa sat by the fire at an early evening dusk.

So I was thinking: what other records have a special seasonal resonance? The other great autumn record that I have (and one of my very favourites) is The Clientele's "Suburban Light", which is a little more rain and mud at twilight than the golden colours of "PB" but shares a similarly romantic worldview in the failing light. The Lemonheads' "It's A Shame About Ray" is real summer record, where almost every song seems to burn like fierce sunshine on the skin even now. The Fall's "Hex Enduction Hour" reminds me of winter, with it's grim grinding thump and sharp, cold edges reminding me of the harsh, relentless barrenness of a northern February. That one of the songs is called "Winter" probably helps me along to this, but early Fall is very much dead music at the best of times.

So Anoraks, can I tempt you from your slumber? What are your seasonal favourites? Do you have any?

IS THERE ANYONE STILL THERE?

TALK TO ME ANORAK.

Yex
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/yex

Re: Seasonal Records

Post by Yex » Tue Dec 01, 2015 19:29

Homemade Ship by Rose Melberg, and in particular the song Bear in a Cave, while enjoyed year-round, is an album/song I strongly associate with the darker half of the year, autumn and winter. As the winter solstice approaches, and I retreat into myself, awaiting shamanic rebirth and the return of the light, I listen to this album a lot.

I know there are some theories involving Softies albums linking up to the seasons, and this doesn't fit in with those theories, but I always associate Holiday in Rhode Island with late summer. The lazy, languid feel to the songs are perfect for motionlessly sweating as you laze about on the dog days.

This is really the only song I know/like by Les Savy Fav, but I always associate What Would Wolves do with late summer (and maybe also early fall) as well.

I'll think of more.
humblebee wrote:Yex, what's that siren? Quick, hide! I think it's the Eleven Music Distraction Police. They've been alerted to your outrageous crimes against the definition of a country!

Dan Pop-o-matic
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/DanPopomatic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Tue Dec 01, 2015 21:16

Most of Pocketbooks stuff makes me think of autumn for some reason (though for an obvious reason with this song):

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Tue Dec 01, 2015 22:51

Yex wrote:I know there are some theories involving Softies albums linking up to the seasons
I'm not up hugely on arcane Rose Melburg lore, but I've always thought that "It's Love" was a very springtime album, not just because of the obvious line in the title track, but because it feels like a very fresh-faced record and also because it makes me think of rain and I always think of rain in the spring.

"Scott 3" by Scott Walker is another rainy spring album I think, but more winter/spring and in a different way, a bit more arty and to do with renewal rather than innocence. "Follow me into just one more spring..."

Nice to know there's still some people around : )

Yex

Post by Yex » Tue Dec 01, 2015 23:12

andyi wrote: "It's Love" was a very springtime album, not just because of the obvious line in the title track, but because it feels like a very fresh-faced record and also because it makes me think of rain and I always think of rain in the spring.
Agreed.
andyi wrote:arcane Rose Melburg lore
From Wikipedia:
wikipedia wrote: It is sometimes speculated that their albums correspond with the seasons of the year as follows: It's Love (Summer), The Softies (Autumn), Winter Pageant (Winter), Holiday in Rhode Island (Spring).
There's no source attributed, so I'm not sure who concocted this theory.
humblebee wrote:Yex, what's that siren? Quick, hide! I think it's the Eleven Music Distraction Police. They've been alerted to your outrageous crimes against the definition of a country!

malaise

Post by malaise » Fri Dec 04, 2015 09:57

Usually I associate records with the seasons I happened to get into them.

Snowy winter mornings: The Carousel - I Forgot To Remember To Forget
Snowy winter evenings: Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate

Lots of others too, but those are standouts of the past 8 or so years.

Yex

Post by Yex » Thu Dec 24, 2015 08:28

The whole self-titled album by Beach House, and in particular this song (for obvious reasons) are best listened to in the dead of winter, around the solstice.

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:28

Not entirely sure why, but I find "16 Lovers Lane" by The Go-Betweens to be a bit festive. Nothing specific, but there's something of warm fires and communality about it. Though "Streets Of Your Town" ruins the mood a bit.